Structure of the Directorate
The Directorate has four sections namely:
- Non Communicable Diseases and Mental Health
- Medical Rehabilitation Services
Some of the selected major milestones for the Clinical Directorate:
- Malawi Standard Treatment Guidelines, 5th edition 2015.
- National Alcohol Policy: adopted by Cabinet, Jan 2017
- CMAM (Community Based Management of Acute Malnutrition) Guidelines, 2016
- National Guidelines on Nutrition Care, Support and Treatment for Adolescents and Adults, 2014 (2nd edition)
- Manual of the Criteria for Referral of Patients Abroad, 3rd Edition 2010.
- Guidelines for the Clinical Use of Blood and Blood products, 2012.
- Minimum Standards of Clinical Services for Malawi, 1st Edition 2013.
- Minimum incentive Package for Ministry of Health employed clinical specialists
- Pre-hospital Care Services/Emergency Medical Services- World Bank supported pilot project.
- Draft Traditional Medicine Policy, 2009
The major challenges for the Directorate and indeed the entire public health care delivery system are:
- Inadequate basic and specialised pieces of medical equipment
- Inadequate medicines and medical supplies
- Inadequate human resources for health
All these have a bearing on delivery of high quality health services including clinical services.